Written by Andrew Octavian
Siesta, or more commonly known as napping, is an art. To master it is to be able to fall asleep anywhere safely and wake up feeling refreshed, which in this era of buzzing society is practically impossible. But hey, why not give it a try? At least if you want to fight your sleepiness, you’ve got to fight it right!
Know the kinds of naps there are:
- THE NANO-NAP (10-20 seconds) – Sleep studies have not yet concluded whether there are benefits to these brief intervals. This kind of nap is – for instance – when you nod off on someone’s shoulder on the train.
- THE MICRO-NAP (2-5 minutes) – Shown to be surprisingly effective at shedding sleepiness.
- THE MINI-NAP (5-20 minutes) – Scientifically proven to increase alertness, stamina, motor learning, and motor performance.
- THE ORIGINAL POWER NAP (20 minutes) – Includes the benefits of the micro and the mini counterparts, but additionally improves muscle memory and clears the brain of useless built-up information, which helps with long-term memory.
- THE LAZY MAN’S NAP (50-90 minutes) – Includes slow-wave plus REM sleep; good for improving perceptual processing; also when the system is flooded with human growth hormone, great for repairing bones and muscles,
Some pointers that might be helpful in taking good naps:
- Certain foods and drinks help you fall asleep easier, such as milk, almonds, oatmeal or cherries.
- If you don’t want to fall into deep sleep, try sleeping at a propped upright position, or since we all have phones, set an alarm.
- For hoodie lovers out there, wearing hoodies is an amazing way to keep your body warm and to keep yourself off from the sun.
- If you feel like you need a serious boost, have a swig of coffee before you hit the hay. Researchers found that a cup of coffee followed by an immediate 15-minute nap is a notably more effective method of staying awake and alert for longer than either coffee or a nap alone. This is because the coffee would take approximately the said amount of time to metabolize and give you the kick you need.
- Einstein Nap Method – If you’re concerned about napping too long, hold a pencil while you’re drifting off. When you fall asleep, the pencil dropping will wake you up.